Significant changes to categories were revealed when entries to Cannes Lions 2015 opened yesterday.
Chief among them is the launch of a highly anticipated Creative Data Lion, created in response to industry demand and set to establish a benchmark for ground-breaking, data-fuelled creativity.
“We’re committed to being at the forefront of the industry, which means reflecting trends and at times spearheading them,” said CEO of Cannes Lions, Philip Thomas. “The Creative Data Lion is an embodiment of those principles. Insights from data are a powerful driver of creative solutions, so it’s imperative that this be recognised and celebrated at the Festival. But we are the first global creative awards to do so, which means we are also championing the role data can play in creativity.”
Demand for the new Lion began to be voiced in 2012 and its development has since been fired by close consultation with the industry.
A committee of data specialists, awarded senior creatives, technologists and the wider marketing community shared their expertise with Cannes Lions, which, said Thomas, had been instrumental in shaping the category.
“Their unique insights and contributions have allowed us to carve out a credible, forward-thinking entry section that meets the needs of a progressive, innovative industry.”
That entry section includes 11 sub-categories encompassing the most creative uses of data and will showcase work where this has been at the core of an idea.
Other changes this year include:
- The Innovation Lions have been expanded into 2 sub-categories – Innovation Technology and Creative Innovation – to celebrate brand-aligned ideas and standalone technological solutions
- Recognising that the business impact of creativity is long-term and proven over time, Creative Effectiveness Lions eligibility has been increased to shortlisted and award winning work from the last three years
- Senior industry experts will assist entrants in developing their submissions through the launch of a Creative Effectiveness Advisory Scheme
- Product Design Lions eligibility has been extended to work from the last two years
- Shortlisted and winning entries in Lions Health and Lions Innovation categories will count towards the Cannes Lions Special Awards including Agency of the Year, Independent Agency of the Year, Network of the Year, Regional Network of the Year and Holding Company of the Year
Further information on all categories, rules and entry fees, along with tips for creating submissions, can be found at www.canneslions.com.
Entrants can have their queries about category changes answered and get help with submissions anytime by contacting email@example.com.